Welcome to our Callaway Apex DCB iron review where we’ll be beaming our searchlight on the new Apex DCB irons.
Callaway has released a new set of irons into the Apex family and this is causing a huge wave of excitement across the golfing world.
Talking about the Apex DCB irons from Callaway, and in this post, we are going to be taking a sneak peek into it, break it down in bits, from the look, feel sound, performance, technology, and other important components of what makes a great iron.
These iron sets are relatively new and most of the Apex DCB expert reviews out there are only positive.
If you are like most people and don’t have the patience to go through the entire review, you could just skip to the headline on the Table of content you want.
Callaway Golf 2021 Apex DCB Irons
The Apex 21 DCB iron is a new iron category from Callaway, and it’s a game improvement iron.
Many golfers who, before now thought they couldn’t play an Apex iron can now have a sigh of relief as Callaway launched the Apex category giving all lovers or admirers of the Apex line an opportunity to have fun with their favorite line of irons.
The Apex DCB(eep Cavity Back) has the combination feel, look, and superb performance of a forged players’ iron the Apex line is known for, plus the forgiveness of a deep cavity back, designed for easy launch.
It’s a perfect fit for double digits handicapped players who wants more forgiveness in an iron.
What People are Saying.
Like I mentioned early on here, this is a new brand of the Apex Irons released in the 1st quarter of 2021, and as such, there are not many reviews yet.
But as you can notice, some early birds have already written a couple of reviews and you could tell from the reviews so far, looks like the acceptability level of the Apex DCB iron is high and all positive.
Here are some of the take-homes of the experts’ opinions so far on the Apex DCB irons.
- Extremely forgiving – Almost everyone agrees that the Apex DCB iron is very forgiving and thus great for all categories of players, most especially those with a double-digit handicap of 12+.
- Feel and Sound – With the technological input of Callaways patented Urethane Microsphere which is able to eliminate harsh vibration and unwanted sound, players can have great fun with this set without compromising ball speed.
- Ball speed is great.
- Perfect fit for high handicap players.
Although the Apex DCB looks similar to the Apex 21 in appearance, there are few things that set them apart from the Apex 21 irons.
The Apex DCB has a slightly wider sole, a deeper cavity, has more offset.
Unless you take a keen look at these irons when placed side by side(the Apex 21 and Apex DCB), you might miss out on the differences.
They are clearly the largest and most forgiving irons in the Callaway Apex category.
The Apex DCB is forged iron designed to look like a player’s irons, feel like one, and provide the premium performance of a forged player’s irons, with the forgiveness of a deep cavity back design for easy launch and turf interaction, from a variety of lies.
Feel and Sound.
To the credit of Callaway, they managed to keep a similar feel and sound throughout the Apex line
the Apex DCB has a better feel compared to other game improvements irons, as the forged 1025 mild carbon steel body combined with the custom urethane microspheres( This was first introduced in the Callaways’ new Rogue Irons and Rogue Hybrids) provide an amazing sound and feel at impact.
Looking at the performance of the Apex DCB, how does it perform out there compare to other traditional Apex categories?
One of the key indices when looking at how the Apex DCB performs is the ball speed
Also, the Deep cavity back, DCB of the Apex irons, and the slightly wider sole are carefully and deliberately crafted to offer massive forgiveness and easy launch throughout the set.
Improved Ball speed.
The A.I flash face cup is designed to boost high ball speeds and to increase spin robustness.
What this means is, even without adding extra speed to your swing, you are sure of having an impressive ball speed leading to more distance and more yards covered. This is beyond impressive as seniors golfer with low swing speeds can also enjoy the performance benefits of the Apex DCB Iron.
Straightforward, the Apex DCB Iron is the most forgiving forged iron in the Apex family.
This must be deliberately designed to give every golfer a chance to enjoy the Apex line of irons.
Callaway employs modern technology in building the Apex DCB irons.
- A.I Flash Face cup: To ensure premium performance, the Apex DCB, like her other models within the Apex 21 line, is designed by A.I. which is actually the first forged irons to feature an Artificial Intelligence Face flash. This is to boost ball speed and increase spin robustness, distance, and control, more than the previous brands.
- Tungsten energy Core: The infusion of the tungsten Energy core allows the CG to be positioned in a precise place for more forgiveness. Also, both the long and mid irons feature up to 50 grams of tungsten in each iron. CG is precisely positioned to promote high launch throughout the set.
- The urethane Microsphere, according to Callaway, helps to counteract the excessive and unwanted vibration that can occur when a club has a thin face such as the Apex DCB that is designed to give faster ball speed and more distance.
Who Can Play The Apex DCB iron?
The Apex DCB irons are game improvement irons and by that, they are a little easier to hit compared with other models.
They are also super forgiving and have A. I flash face cap for high ball speeds. So, basically, they are designed for everyone most especially, they are great for those who are new in the game with high handicap levels.
Also great for those who are getting back into the game after some time off and need help to get the ball up in the air.
To Callaway’s credit, everyone can now play an Apex iron with the launching of the Apex DCB irons.
If you have always wanted to play an Apex iron, you have the chance to do that now.
Even though most of the features incorporated in the Apex DCB look like they are meant only for now golfers with a high handicap, everyone can actually play these irons.
Apex DCB 21 Iron0.00
Feel & Sound9.1/10
Distance & Control10.0/10
- Very forgiving - More than the standard Apex 21
- Feel & Sound is great - zero harsh vibration and unwanted sound.
- High launch, more ball speed and distance
- Expect to have all the common challenges that come from low spin.
- Price might be a major drawback especially with folks on low budget.